HSBC Credit Card(s)

Credit card news tips and information

Moderator: User Moderator

DC.

HSBC Credit Card(s)

Postby DC. » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:29 am

I have 2 MBNA credit cards
1 is a balance transfer running until Jan 2020.
The other is a mule card, currently AMEX but will be changing to Visa i think.

The balance transfer card has a limit of £10,000, recently increased by MBNA, because I'm a good boy.
The Mule card has a limit of £500 reduced at my request, but doesn't charge for balance or money transfers.
I have used it in the past with other banks 0% interest 0% balance transfer fee cards, so get money in my current account.

My question is regarding keeping both cards, as one has a high limit, and the other is useful.
When I clear the balance transfer card, then leave it a few months, is MBNA going to let me apply for a third, even if its a small limit as I can transfer limits, or does MBNA have a 2 card limit?

DC.

Re: HSBC Credit Card(s)

Postby DC. » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:03 pm

Sorry, title was supposed to read MBNA Credit Card(s)

planteria

Postby planteria » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:31 am

i'm not sure whether MBNA have a max of 2 nowadays. i know that Barclaycard have changed from Max 1 to Several to 1 over time, and I know that MBNA have gone through phases of trying to increase/reduce too. i tend to only keep 1 MBNA card nowadays. perhaps best to just call them and ask.

DC.

Postby DC. » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:04 am

I thought about it some more.
When the BT Card is paid off, I could request the whole limit be transferred to the mule card, and close the BT card.
Then I'll leave it a few months, and apply for a new one, and I can request the large limit on the mule card to be transferred to the new card.

planteria

Postby planteria » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:13 am

you could do, yes. the mule card is useful... i remember the days of EggMoney fondly. but i came to thinking that as the card providers became more cautious it was best to streamline and i have just used MBNA as a provider of great long-term BT deals, with one card at a time - merging limits as you mention.

Return to “Stoozing Credit Cards”