'Spare' MBNA Card?

Credit card news tips and information

Moderator: User Moderator

planteria

'Spare' MBNA Card?

Postby planteria » Tue May 24, 2016 7:44 pm

i applied for a second MBNA card back in January, for a new BT deal. all went fine and move the bulk of my existing limit across, although they did reduce the limit of my existing account by a few thousand.
i split a 30k limit into 29800 for the BT card and 200 for a 'Spare' in a Rodes-inspired train of thought that down the line it would increase my likelihood of repeats... but would people here bother to retain the £200 card for a couple of years, or let it go to simplify my file :?:

kempiejon

Re: 'Spare' MBNA Card?

Postby kempiejon » Wed May 25, 2016 12:39 pm

I have a spare MBNA card, they auto increase my credit limits and like you I think I could get more repeats holding 2 cards and then merge the biggest limit onto the card with the best offer at the time. I think this might work but currently offers have been a bit stingy on duration with higher fees. MBNA did stiff me once where they allowed me a new account, allowed me to juggle my limits but then consolidated my credit limit across three cards, I too lost out to the tune of a few thousand.

YorkshireBoy

Postby YorkshireBoy » Wed May 25, 2016 6:52 pm

I did the same and retained a £500 limit secondary MBNA card a few years ago. Workable offers never came and because I didn't use the card they closed it, without giving me the option to start to use it and keep it.

So I'd say if you do keep it make sure you use it!

planteria

Postby planteria » Thu May 26, 2016 9:03 pm

I tend to buy a lottery ticket each month.. I'm just not it's worth it :?

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:20 pm

This is probably as good a place as any to post that Amazon now has an auto-topup setting, making it even easier to put a tiny amount of regular "spending" on a credit card (schedule choices include daily, weekly, monthly and the date), as well as drawing on the linked DD.

I've set this for one of my cards; the only downside is a limit of 1 auto-topup per Amazon account. Multiple cards can be registered for topups, but the others still need to be done manually.

planteria

Postby planteria » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:49 pm

i always think that one of these 'convenient' lottery ticket purchases will be the one that comes in though ;)

planteria

Postby planteria » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:33 pm

decided to chop the 'spare' in, and closed my Nationwide card today too.
down to just five card accounts now, with only ten current accounts!! one of these days i'll have 'normal' financial arrangements ;)

joker

Postby joker » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:02 am

The letter I got from nationwide yesterday for closing my credit card account suggested that I wouldn't be eligible for future offers... I assume that this means for 6 months or similar, not forever?

planteria

Postby planteria » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:24 am

not sure joker. i'll have a look when their letter arrives with me. but either way, if the terms aren't useful, or have good prospect of becoming so, might as well close.

planteria

Postby planteria » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:32 pm

"If you wish to re-apply for a Nationwide Credit Card at any time in the future, you are welcome to do so (acceptance will be subject to status). Future accounts will only be offered at the ongoing interest rate and will not be subject to any low introductory rate that may be available at that time."

...reads as though that is forever. i would be surprised, but they are a shower anyway, so no loss.

Return to “Stoozing Credit Cards”