Money management

Tell us your deals or ask for advice

Moderator: User Moderator

StoozOrLose

Money management

Postby StoozOrLose » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:51 pm

I've always been a one or two account kind of chap but now I'm getting into this stoozing business I can see I'm going to end up with a few different accounts..... so my mind turned to how best to manage them.

I stumbled across https://www.moneydashboard.com which on the face of it appears to be pretty decent. Anyone used it or got any thoughts on it?

StringyBob

Re: Money management

Postby StringyBob » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:55 pm

Never used it but it could be what I am looking for.

Does it show balances on all your accounts?

I was using YBS but they pulled that so switched to first direct plus and now that doesn't work for me.

It's difficult to keep track when I have about 50 active accountss

StoozOrLose

Postby StoozOrLose » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:00 am

Yes seemingly. It appears to let you see balances of all sorts of different accounts but doesn't let you interact with them which is good from a security perspective.

All the reviews I can find are predominantly positive and can't find any negative ones that are of any concern, so looks good.

kempiejon

Postby kempiejon » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:28 am

Stringybob,
You say you don't get on with fd internetplus, why's that?
I'm a user, it has some foibles but mostly I find it really handy. I run about 40 accounts with it and the alternatives seem daunting, spreadsheets lists and all those passwords and log ins. I used to have an Egg account Money Manger which was pretty good but Egg's gone now.

planteria

Postby planteria » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:31 am

i haven't bothered with account aggregation sites for years now..
just have a 'minimum to leave behind' for each account for when i do my monthly round robin.
the minimum includes regular DDs which are needed to qualify for rates/rewards, and regular savers which earn handy interest.
as it happens i'm just sifting through it now. and am simplifying my accounts nowadays.

StringyBob

Postby StringyBob » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:42 am

Money dashboard looks good so far for my purposes, I've added about 20 accounts in so far.

@kempiejon, First Direct Internet Banking Plus was perfect but now I get this message after I log on.

Digital safe alert message
We need to download the latest digital safe to your PC in order to protect all of your account details, balances and information.

If you are unable to download now, you can always come back later to continue. Choose 'proceed' below to download the digital safe now.

but then I don't get any further, nothing pops up for me to download, tried changing my IE settings as it suggests but still get nothing.

StoozOrLose

Postby StoozOrLose » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:05 pm

StringyBob wrote:Money dashboard looks good so far for my purposes, I've added about 20 accounts in so far.

Glad its been helpful, in process of setting it myself.

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:39 am

First Direct Internet Banking Plus is a branded version of Account Unity, which is what I've used for years. Egg Money Manager was also the same service. I prefer Account Unity to Money Dashboard as your account details are stored encrypted locally on your PC instead of on a remote website. It only works with Internet Explorer and requires ActiveX controls enabled to use it.

The original unbranded Account Unity can be found here:
https://www.ewise.com.au/accunity/aa/home.asp

planteria

Postby planteria » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:41 am

i used AU too Sarah.. if i wanted account aggregation, that's where i'd go :)

kempiejon

Postby kempiejon » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:01 am

StringyBob,

I had some problems installing and setting up firstdirect and I know exactly the message you quote. I forget how I overcame the problem but I do remember calling FD for help, perhaps it didn't work with Chrome/Firefox, or I have pop ups and security settings I needed to relax.
I've become so dependant on the service I'd probably have to reset passwords and start again without it as I am certain I'd not always know how to log onto my accounts without it.
I have before thought about having another account consolidator in case there's ever a problem with FD and I like the idea of having the web based version or one I can carry about on a USB so I am not tied to my own PC. Perhaps I'll have a look at the options. I would still have the wrinkle of not knowing all my log on details but I guess I'd only have to do the work once. Annoyingly there are a couple of my accounts that I can't get FD to service so it's not a definitive picture of my total financial exposures and worth.

Return to “Deals & Tips”